Friday, August 3, 2007

Wheel of Fortune!


This is a little article that I wrote about a year ago for D1D. I just thought I would throw it out one more time as the season is well on its way and maybe some of you drivers and tacticians are having the same issue at this time. Sorry for the regurge but I think it is a good way to look driving.
Cheers

Tac

The Wheel of Fortune


I have found myself doing ton of sailing lately, with the two Mac races, Harbor Springs, the Brian Jackman Farr 40 regatta in Chicago and now I am at a MUMM 30 event in Cleveland OH.

Over the past month I have sailed on many different boats and various levels of crew. It is a great learning experience each time I sail. Here is something that I have learnt over the past few months of summer.

I am pretty blessed with my job in the fact that I get to sail on many boats with great people. One boat that I have been sailing on this season is Team LaSalle’s Farr 40 in Chicago. LaSalle bank the US arm of ABN AMRO has sponsored a Farr 40 for two seasons in Chicago, this season I am calling tactics on the boat. In the two seasons we have had two full time drivers and a part timer this past weekend.

All three sailors have been dinghy sailors and making the transition is not as easy as some think. All three of them have been good drivers for the most part and with some time on the boat I think that have become quite good and I enjoy sailing with them.

But over the past two years, (I was the mainsail trimmer last year); I have been in the back of the bus and noticed an interesting phenomenon. Having been a dinghy sailor a long time ago I kind of forgot how you drive one. Usually with a Laser or a Vanguard you are moving the tiller a bunch to “work” the boat over waves, create lanes and get out of sticky spots. Well when the dinghy driver comes to a boat that has a wheel you generally get what I have termed “Wheel of Fortune”. The dudes are spinning the wheel like they are on a game show!

Great big turns on the start line, rudder moving all the time upwind and downwind because their experience is working the rudder over, under and around waves with the dinghy so in their mind then need to do the exact same way. Well boys that is slow!

When you watch the best drivers in the fleet they are barley ever moving the wheel at all. They find the sweet spot and just sort drive with a movement that rotating your wrist allows. It is quite a difference in performance between the game show contestant and the smoothest drivers in the fleet.

On the keel boats like the Farr 40 moving the rudder a whole bunch just adds turbulence and drag hence slowing the boat down. So if you get the chance to move up from a dinghy to a keel boat please remember to hold that wheel as still as possible. Your tactician and mainsail trimmer will thank you!

No comments: