Friday, March 30, 2007

Tech trick of the week




Good day all. The UPS man was just here and dropped off the Cabin top, Primary and Mainsheet winches from the NM 43 Tyrant.

You see we had shipped them off to Oyster Bay Boat Shop to have the winches refinished. They are all Lewmar drums that are about 10 years old and the finish had turned very slick. We would have to totally stack the winches with wraps in order to get any grip at all.

Bam Miller from Oyster Bay has developed a way of stripping the drum down to Aluminum and "regripping" them and then reapplying the Anodizing finish.

So I felt like a kid at Christmas as I ripped opened the box and the bubble wrap of one of the drums. They look awesome! they are a little darker in color, they look more like Harken winches now and the grip feels real nice.

I will write up another report after we use them the first time, but from what I have seen any one with slick drums needs to seriously consider this option.

The cost is about $500 a drum and the process takes just over 4 weeks to complete.

For more information on this give me a ring or an email and I will happy to help you in anyway I can.

Cheers

Tac

tac (at) truewindracing.com
616-396-3030

No comments: